Secretary for the Environment,
We are hereby to demand the Environmental Bureau to tighten the Air Quality Objectives based on the primary purpose to safeguard public health. In the past few years, the concentration level of Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) has persistently exceeded the maximum number of exceedances allowed under Hong Kong’s Air Quality Objectives (AQOs).However, under current mechanism, there is no consequence for the authority even with such continuous exceedances. The weak accountability has left the public health unprotected. Therefore, we call for,
- The Government has to enforce more stringent plans to lower numbers of exceedances allowed in respect of roadside pollutants under Hong Kong Air Quality Objectives (AQOs).
- Throughout policy, implementations to improve air quality, safeguarding public health should always be the first consideration instead of considering practicability and cost-effectiveness.
- The Government to extend existing lower emission zone in Central, Causeway Bay and Mongkok and prohibit polluting commercial or passenger vehicles from entering.
- The Government to accelerate transition of franchised buses to emission standard Euro VI or electric.
- The Government to implement electric road pricing scheme to internalize environmental and health cost on vehicle user based on polluter-pays principle.