Sign your support for regulating disposable plastic tableware to Hong Kong Government and legislators. Signatures and comments will be submitted to the Environmental Protection Department before the consultation deadline (8 September 2021).
By regulating disposable plastic tableware like takeout containers, cups, and straws, we can start addressing Hong Kong’s sizable and visible waste stream. Governments around the world have started to develop similar and related policies, but given its scope and ambition, Hong Kong’s proposal could put it in a leadership position.
Why does it matter for Hong Kong?
– Hong Kong is a big waste producer on a per capita basis — we need to create less waste and send less of it to the landfill
– Single-use, disposable tableware is an important and highly visible contributor to the littering of our beaches, country parks, and sidewalks
– Regulating these packaging products, more than any other type of policy, creates a level playing field for food&beverage operators and provides a strong driver for innovation
Why should you sign?
We need to signal our strong support and give our lawmakers and politicians the courage to move ahead. Government does take into account the responses to their public consultations, as we saw from the consultation on plastic bottles last spring: there, the overwhelming public response gave a strong impulse for the legislative work that is currently under way. With this petition, you can add your voice and help accelerate effective regulation for tableware’s important waste challenge.
To learn more about the proposal, or submit a more detailed response, you can:
– visit the Eat Without Waste website: https://www.admcf.org/initiative-eat-without-waste/
– visit the government consultation website: https://www.rdpt.hk/en/
– read the full consultation paper: https://www.rdpt.hk/en/consultation-paper/
– fill in the complete consultation questionnaire online: https://www.rdpt.hk/en/form/
SIGN TODAY SO YOUR VOICE IS HEARD!