To Secretary for Transport and Housing, Secretary for the Environment, Secretary for Development,
Herewith I call on the Transport and Housing Bureau, Development Bureau, and Environment Bureau to work together to:
Pedestrianize Des Voeux Road Central, on a temporary and progressive basis, from Pedder Street to Morrison Street (1,400m) on Sundays and Public holidays as soon as possible.
Herewith we call on the Town Planning Board:
To approve the application (No. Y/H3/7), in whole or in part, to rezone Des Voeux Road Central (DVRC) from Pedder Street to Morrison Street; from “Road” to “Pedestrian Area and Environmentally Friendly Transport System” along the tramline (with the exception of North-south cross roads).
My reasons for supporting this petition letter:
- Traffic can be redirected successfully and temporarily to other roads to minimize traffic impact to surroundings. This in turn has enabled the road space on DVRC to be used for public activities.
- There are no safety issues with operating the tram and having a pedestrian area on DVRC.The sharing of road space is inefficient and unfair in Central, with most of the space designated to private vehicles and taxis, but too little to pedestrians.
- The tram services and other environmentally friendly transport (electric buses or Euro V compliant buses) as the main mode of transport above ground will improve roadside air-quality.
- The reduction of vehicular traffic will reduce roadside noise pollution.
- A better outdoor street environment on DVRC will bring new vibrancy with outdoor seating, street markets, community events and other activities beneficial to the community and the business operators.